Thursday, June 29, 2006

99

This is actually more of a why I'm glad I homeschool than a real reason for homeschooling, but still: my children will never, ever have to ride in a school bus. Not to get to school, not for a field trip, not ever. Although safety standards have improved (I can remember standing up on the bus as a child, trying to hold on to my school books with one hand while clutching the back of a seat for balance with the other -- seatbelts? Are you kidding?) I still don't like the idea of some underpaid anonymous person driving my kids around. Or anyone else's either for that matter. I personally also have memories of some really unpleasant kids on the bus, making life hard for all and sundry. There was one girl in particular who suffered at the hands of bullies on the bus when I was in grade school, and I remember it to this day. I bet she does, too -- why did she have to go through all that just to get to school? Summary: I think school busses are a bad idea and I'm glad my kids don't have to deal with them.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Vivian said...

Given that my son is one of the kids get on a bus every morning and every afternoon during the school year, I have to say that we all love the buses. The driver of our morning bus (the only one I see) knows all the kids and parents/care givers. For Christmas all the families along the route pooled money to get her a $200 Macy's gift card.

There are still no seatbelts on school buses. they said since the kids are not in boosters, seatbelts makes it more dangerous for the kids. The buses only travel on city streets, no freeway.
For field trips they always ask for parents to drive the kids, no bus. The school district is paying a fortune to bus the kids for two years.

Sorry to sound less supportive, just my .02 about school buses.

4:20 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

You don't need to be supportive. I actually like it when people disagree with me. I have no experience of modern school buses. I still don't like them. And that reasoning about seat belts escapes me.

Anyway, nice to hear from you. I had a LOUSY day and any word from you is nice.

10:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I briefly rode a bus to school during my freshmen year of high school. Usually my dad gave a me a ride to school, but once in a while, if I got up early enough, I'd take the bus with a friend. I remember the last week school, getting on the bus...all the graduating seniors celebrating. Uncorking champagne bottles ON THE BUS! Scary.

As for the bus now...I REALLY don't like the idea of Andrew riding on them. In kindergarten - Andrew was supposed to take the bus for a field trip to a pumpkin patch... in Gilroy! (Hello! I remember walking ACROSS THE STREET to a pumpkin patch when I was a kinder.) Anyway--- I protested and told the teacher--no thankyou, we would drive him. Well- trip day comes and Andrew has a fit 'cause all the kids can ride the bus, why can't he? Solution? Paul rides with Andrew on the bus, and Audrey & I follow in our car. (Like with this set-up, we can somehow protect him.)

9:37 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

See? It's not just me, after all.

1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home