Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Goodbye, Columbus

and hello Elizabeth (and her aftermath). Bonus question: what's the connection between these two historical personages?

So I finished The Last Voyage of Columbus and have started After Elizabeth. So far, the story of politics and intrigue toward the end of Elizabeth I's reign is much more gripping than the sea voyages of Columbus. Those Tudors! Maybe it's just the complicated family relationships, but I also find this book more difficult to follow, and have to keep re-reading parts before I really understand the connections. Not that I can remember them for five minutes after I figure them out.

I also read In the Company of Cheerful Women by Alexander McCall Smith the other day. It was just pleasant and relaxing to read. In contrast to, oh, I don't know, say Watership Down. Which I can and will read, but find somewhat slow going.

Did you figure out the answer yet?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home