Thursday, May 18, 2006

Not enough books

in this blog or in my life, lately. So I checked out the following from the library:

The Last Voyage of Columbus by Martin Dugard
After Elizabeth by Leanda de Lisle
Nell Gwyn by Charles Beauclerk
Saving Fish from Drowning by Amy Tan

Slim pickings on the new books shelf at the library.

I have started The Last Voyage of Columbus. It is very easy to read, pretty lightweight in my opinion. I have learned some interesting things, though, including a lot about Portugal, because I didn't know much of anything about Portugal before. I did know that a lot of world explorers were Portuguese (visit the Portuguese house at the Kelley Park history museum for a very nice exhibit) but I didn't know that Portugal was originally settled by the Phoenicians, which may explain their seafaring prowess. Another new fact for me: the type of sailing ship known as a caravel was Portuguese in design.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you! I am in a reading funk. Need all my energy to get through Watership Down. I've read exactly 2 pages.

9:35 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Lesley, read faster, I need to borrow your copy! I have it on hold at the library, but who knows when I'll get it?

1:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home