Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Bookclub

Well, first the news about Watership Down. My recollection of the general consensus boils down to "Why rabbits?" Also, "This is very violent." That second was most prominently voiced by those of us who had relied on the movie rather than actually reading the book, but as someone who put the book down feeling distinctly disturbed, I second that view. I am perhaps excessively squeamish in that regard. But then again, so many people these days are so unmoved by excessive and gratuitous displays of violence in the media, I figure I might as well just go to the other extreme. Which is why nobody who knows me could understand why I thought the movie Tremors was actually funny. But I digress.

There also seemed to be some mutterings that could be taken to mean that this blog is not very bookclubby. Well, guess what? If you want to have a discussion about something, you can't just leave one comment and check out. You have to see if anyone replied to your comment (I often do) and then comment again. This is how a discussion progresses. So if you had any thoughts about Watership Down that somehow didn't get said before the discussion moved on, let's hear them. If something just popped into your head on the drive home, by all means, I'd like to know. I can't be a bookclub all by myself.

I know I should say something about Jennifer leaving, but for some reason this is all I can manage. I think I'm in denial.

And the next book, just to remind you, is Kitchen Confidential. July 10. Looking forward to it.

6 Comments:

Blogger Vivian said...

I was one of the people muttered about "the bookclub blog". This is by no means to be any criticism of this blog, only I had the impression this was going to be set up as a place all club members can post, vs. leaving comments. This can be accomplished by adding each individual as "team members" on the blog settings.

Then again we'll have the issue of those of us that don't blog (Michelle, Tania) and those of us that don't read the books (shame shame).

8:57 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

That never even occurred to me. I'm so inexperienced! It's a good idea, but then what would I do with all the rest of this stuff? I'll have to rethink this whole thing.

Those that don't blog can always catch up at meetings. Those that don't read, well ....

9:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We often "go-off-topic" at book club, and the Virtual variety should be no different.

I'm anxious to start the next book... anyone know if it's at the library?

9:28 PM  
Blogger Vivian said...

Yes it is, various copies in various locations. I'm going to check it out.

9:29 PM  
Blogger T. Suzanne Eller said...

I remember reading Watership Down and wondering what the author was thinking? : )

Suzanne Eller

5:06 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I guess we'll never know ...

12:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home