Tuesday, November 21, 2006

You're It!

Tagged by Vivan: Write five things about yourself that people don't know. Am I such a woman of mystery? My life is an open book. Here are five random attempts.

1. My oldest daughter Jennifer, was born at home. This was in the late 70s, when home births were not quite as common as they have since become. Deciding to pass on the hospital birth was kind of a no-brainer for me -- the hospital informed me, "You WILL be shaved, you WILL be strapped into the stirrups ...." My response? "I don't think so." Finding midwives was maybe a little trickier then, because legislation to legitimize nurse-midwives had not passed, and many midwives were operating underground. I was fortunate to find midwives who had a collaborative agreement with a doctor; this meant that in the case of an emergency I could be admitted to the hospital. Right around the time I had Jennifer, two babies died when their mothers were refused entry to emergency rooms because the hospital staff suspected an attempted home birth. I liked the experience overall, and even began training to become a midwife, but in the end I decided to go back to school instead.

2. I have a second-degree black belt. It's not clear that I really deserve this rank, but by God, I have it. My martial arts career was interesting in the consistent way that political considerations impacted on my ranking. I may be the first person NOT to have been given a black belt after a year of intensive training in Japan, and the reason basically was that the head of the dojo was unhappy with my husband. So I came back to America, took my test, got my rank, and went on with my life as half-owner of a martial arts school. Eventually I requested, and got, an honorary second degree, more or less on the grounds that I had been under-ranked basically forever. Now that I haven't trained in years, and my knees and hips are bad, the rank is really just a memory, but I do have two really nice looking pieces of Japanese calligraphy to hang on my walls. One for each degree.

3. I have never taken a college-level English class, but I have read the entire six-volume Remembrance of Things Past, as well as the 24-volume translation of the Thousand and One Nights. Feats I probably could not duplicate now.

4. I have an almost mystical ability to get babies to go to sleep. This has actually been inconvenient for friends who were trying to get their children to stay awake for some reason or another. I love babies. I just love them. I will babysit anybody's baby, any time, for free, because I love them.

5. I have a B.S. in Mathematics. Surprise! Not a liberal arts major!

I tag Zelda and Jennifer.

4 Comments:

Blogger Z said...

Hey! Those were suprising! That was fun.

10:00 PM  
Blogger Lesley said...

There are many aspects of your life that are movie worthy!
Picture this...
"In a country... A world away.... a woman (played by *insert name of hot actress here*) struggles for the right to earn her black belt! But, standing in her way is the ruthless dojo operator (played by *Insert name of hunky actor here*) who will do anything to destroy her dream of becoming part owner of martial arts school. Will she succeed? Will she find romance? Will she become a midwife? Will she ever learn to read? Only time will tell!"

9:28 AM  
Blogger Vivian said...

You need to show Henry your black belt degrees. He just started Tae Kwon Do and worships anyone with a black belt.

Love Lesley's movie scene, you are nuts.

10:47 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I'm so sad to say that I never actually had the goal of earning the black belt or owning the school. It just made me mad that other people who didn't work as hard got promoted ahead of me.

I really, really, like the way you come up with different perspectives on things. A scrapbooking business for Jennifer, a movie out of two or three short years of my life ... You definitely need to be a creative consultant of some kind.

12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home