Thursday, October 12, 2006

A common misconception about Ramadan

is that it is a fall/winter holiday. I think that's because there are a few years when it kind of coincides with Christmas, and then Yom Kippur, and people just get that idea in their heads. It's not true, though.

The Islamic lunar calendar is not adjusted to the solar calendar at all, unlike the Chinese lunar calendar, say. Since a lunar year differs from a solar one significantly, Ramadan moves forward in the calendar by about 11 days every year. Since this year Ramadan began on September 22, that means next year it will start on the 11th or so. The year after that, the 1st. And so on, until it reaches the summer, which is what I am dreading.

During the summer the days are both long and hot, and even air-conditioned air is dehydrating. Waiting until 8 or 9 to be able to have a drink of water seems unbearable. On the other hand, feeling cold is a huge issue for me right now, so I guess there's a trade-off of sorts. Another good thing is that fewer people with colds will be around during the summer, so there is probably less likelihood of getting sick.

Because, yes, as hard as tried to avoid it, taking those fizzy dissolving vitamin tablets that are supposed to boost your immune system way more than I approve of taking any medication, quasi or otherwise, taking naps as often as was feasible given my kids' busy schedules, despite all my precautions I got sick. Really sick, in fact. Sicker than I even realized until I started to feel better, which made me realize how lousy I felt even just yesterday, which was miles better than I had felt the day before.

Of course now that I'm recovering, my voice is all weird.

10 days to go. I think we'll make it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Vivian said...

No wonder I remember Ramadan being around Thanksgiving a few years ago. Guess it could be worse to fast during the holidays when everyone else is eating all day.

Hope you feel better soon! Lot of people are sick, got two of them in my house.

9:46 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Fasting during the holidays is fine, because then you just have your holiday meal in the evening. Since all my in-laws are fasting, too, there's no problem!

8:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home