Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Today is Maya's birthday

Today my girl is 7 years old.

She is my sunshine girl. The one who plays the piano by herself, practices guitar on her own, mothers her dolls, reads her books, plays alone without complaining but is always so glad and happy to have company, and is always such good company herself. The one who doesn't like math all that much, but sometimes asks me to give her mathematics to do. The one who is always drawing fairies and rainbows. The one who all the shy kids gravitate to, the one who makes friends everywhere she goes.

She is the girl that baffles me, because she has so many strengths that I don't have, but is also sometimes weak in ways I don't understand. Her sister and brother are alike (and like me)in many ways, but she is different.

One time, Maya went to an all-girl birthday party. The other girls all went into a bedroom and shut the door, leaving her out in the hall.

"What happened then?" I asked, expecting to hear a wistful tale about how sad she had been out in the hall by herself.

"Well, after a while I got bored, so I told them, 'Hey, I'm Tinkerbell, let me in. So they did.'"

That's my girl. But how did I ever get a girl like that?

Happy Birthday, Maya. I feel very lucky to be your mother.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lesley said...

Happy Belated birthday Maya!

I've read there is only 1 good and perfect child in the world - and that EVERY mother has it.

11:09 AM  
Blogger Vivian said...

Happy birthday Maya! You are the most beautiful girl in the world!

11:36 AM  
Blogger Z said...

Sarah! Eleanor turns 7 on the the 11th. Happy belated, Maya!

2:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home