Thursday, October 19, 2006

A quirky thing

about Ramadan is the way you can eat a very large meal and feel that you have exercised commendable restraint and self-discipline. It is also the only time when I have felt too stuffed to take another bite and hungry at the same time. We definitely enjoy food during Ramadan.

What I'm going to enjoy about ending my fast is feeling back in synch with the rest of the world; just feeling normal again. I'm going to enjoy having a cup of coffee when I read the paper, I'm going to enjoy just reaching out for a sip of water when I feel like it without double checking whether it's an OK time or not. I'm going to enjoy grabbing a bite off my kid's plate when I serve them lunch and licking my fingers when I'm cooking if I feel like it. I'm going to enjoy being able to taste what I'm cooking and biting into pasta to see if it's done. In other words, I am looking forward to having all my actions spill out into all the time they want to occupy; not constraining certain actions to a certain time and constraining myself the rest of it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Vivian said...

and I hope you'll enjoy having lunch with friends too ....

9:25 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Most definitely. Let's set something up. I'm almost feeling up to figuring out a knitting project, too.

11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home