Friday, October 27, 2006

The long day of the hedonist

7:00 Get out of bed. Go downstairs and make coffee. One cup is for me, the rest goes into a thermos for Nabil to drink later. Eat some leftover ravioli while I start making his lunch. The plan is to have breakfast in Santa Cruz, but I'm hungry.

7:30 Go wake up Ziad and Maya. Today is the first day of a nature studies class Ziad is taking in Santa Cruz, and we need to be out the door by 8. Go downstairs and finish filling out insurance and medical information on his application form. Check to make sure his backpack is correctly packed with his lunch is inside.

8:00 Everyone is ready to go. Ziad and Maya have leftover pancakes and milk to have in the car. Maya decides she has to use the bathroom. Double check that everything is ready.

8:07 Pull out of the garage. Where did all these cars on Camden Avenue come from? I've never seen so much traffic. Make mental note to leave at 7:30 next week. Try going down Blossom Hill to get directly on 17 from there, rather than dealing with 85 North. Not really such a good idea.

8:30 Get on 17. Jam over the hill. Arrive only a few minutes late to find that not too many other people have gotten there yet either. Huge relief.

9:15 Nature studies class leaves for their day. Moms convene in parking lot to discuss driving arrangements and plans for the day. Decide on impromptu hike with one other mom and Maya.

11:30 Still hiking. Not entirely sure where we are or how long it's going to take to get back to the pickup spot. Somewhat concerned.

1:00 Still hiking. I have a better idea of where we are, but Maya is really getting tired. She has shared the other mom's peanut butter sandwich, but I haven't eaten anything. I am now really glad I ate those ravioli earlier. I try carrying Maya for short stretches, more to help her morale than anything else.

1:30 Back at the pickup spot. Huge relief. I had had visions of straggling in late, with the whole class waiting for us, feeling like an idiot because we couldn't even find our way back to the parking lot on time. This way, we'll be waiting there when they get back, which is the proper way for things to happen. Somebody shows up with a map. Looking it over, we realize we have hiked something like 5 or 6 miles in about 3 hours. Maya is truly awesome.

2:10 Hop in the car, scream back over the hill because I have a hair appointment at 3:00. Call Jenny and move it back to 3:30. Try to order a pizza for delivery only to find out that they don't deliver till after 4. Obviously I am not going to get to eat before I get my hair done.

3:00 Quick shower, write out the pizza order instructions for my Mom, who is watching the kids, and head on out to Willow Glen where the salon is.

4:20 My hair is done, now I have 10 minutes to get over to Los Gatos, because I am having a facial. (Hey, the kids all got presents for the end of Ramadan. It's only fair.)

4:40 Apparently it takes more than 10 minutes to get from Willow Glen to Los Gatos at this time of day. I have 5 minutes to check in and meet the facial person.

6:20 Facial is done and paid for and I am on the way home. I am extremely hungry. (Hmm, where have you heard that before?) Just a quick stop at the grocery store and I am home for the evening.

6:45 Finally, I get something to eat. My mom leaves, and I attempt to help Ziad and Maya do their guitar practice. Time to clean the kitchen and get organized so we will be ready in the morning because -- TOMORROW WE ARE GOING TO MONTEREY FOR THE WEEKEND!!!! Yeah!!!

11:00 I'm not finished, but there's no way I can keep going either. Time for bed.

5 Comments:

Blogger Vivian said...

That sounds like a tiring but fun filled day! Good for Maya for a long hike. Get your hair done and facial in one afternoon -- I have to say you manage time really well.

3:58 PM  
Blogger Z said...

Have fun! You've earned it.

4:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:27 PM  
Blogger Lesley said...

Sarah--- all those people on the road at 8am are going to work -- and at 4pm they are coming home :) It's also referred to as "traffic."

When we are stuck in traffic -- Audrey will always say something like, "Drive faster!" "Push the wheel harder!" "Make these cars go away!" I'm a VERY afraid for the day she gets a driver's license.

6:39 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Yeah, well, add that to my list of reasons for homeschooling.

I used to worry about when Jennifer would get her driver's license, too, but as it turned out she waited until she was 18 and is actually pretty cautious. So you never can tell.

12:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home