Monday, May 01, 2006

Weekend in San Francisco 3: At least this is not my fault

We were tired after walking back from dinner. The streets of San Francisco are hilly, even in their mildest stretches. We let the kids swim for a bit in the new lap pool, and then went more or less straight to bed.

I woke up at six the next morning, to find that my husband had been up all night with a monster headache. He suffers from migraines, so he has special medicine for them, but unfortunately he had left his supply in the car the night before. First item of the morning: go down and get the medicine. Next, find the restaurant and get him some coffee (caffeine has a synergetic effect with pain relievers). Last, try to find a drugstore open at 7:00 on a Sunday morning.

Now, San Francisco is getting to have a lot of Starbucks. I passed quite a few as I walked. What is surprising is that I passed almost as many Walgreens, before finally finding a 24-hour one on Union Square. I bought some Tylenol, and Advil too, just to be on the safe side, then headed back.

Ziad and Maya were up when I got back, so we went for breakfast. My husband finally got some sleep. After breakfast, Ziad and Maya and I went next door to SFMOMA where they are currently showing an exhibition of paintings and sculpture by Alexander Calder. We enjoyed the museum, the cafe, and the gift store, then headed back to the hotel where my husband was finally feeling better. Time for Maya and me to head off to the ballet, while Ziad and his dad went to the Exploratorium.

When we got home, everyone was tired, but my husband still spent an impossible amount of time cleaning out the car and the carseats, to the point of taking out the upholstery for me to wash while he bleached the harness straps. This whole proceeding took until after midnight. If you are thinking that this would make it impossible for him to go to work, you are wrong. He went to work anyway, at about 12:30, but came back around 2 because his headache was still bothering him. Why I was still up then is a mystery to me, but I was.

So that is our weekend. When I think of everything that went wrong, it sounds like a weekend from hell, but actually, it was pretty nice. I think for every low there was a corresponding high. Emphasize the positive, that's the ticket.


Blogger Vivian said...

We'll be going to SFMOMA on Friday for the Pixar meeting and will probably look at the exhibits too while we are there. Your weekend really sounds not that bad considering how many things can happen to kids. Nabil lives on no sleep at all? no wonder he gets headaches!

9:34 AM  
Anonymous Lesley said...

Okay--- these are excerpts from "a pretty nive weekend" what happens when things go seriously wrong? Similiar stuff has happened to us... and I've vowed to NEVER go again.

7:59 PM  
Anonymous Lesley said...

nive should be nice

Please tell me you can edit this thing

8:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home