Saturday, June 28, 2008

Just when you thought it was safe

to open this page without fear of puns, I bring you (ta-da!) H-L

Wow, I really liked the Hs:

"I only have diamonds, clubs and spades," said Tom heartlessly.

"Dinna wave that axe aboot, Jimmy!" said Tom heedlessly.

"My extreme emotional instability arises from a psychoneurosis," hissed Eric.

"Have a ride in my new ambulance," said Tom hospitably.

"That's an ugly hippopotamus!" said Tom hypocritically.


The Is perhaps a little less:

"May I become a chorister?" Tom inquired.

"I've borrowed my sister's camping gear," said Tom insistently.


Only two Js, but I like them both. Interesting that they take the related words judgment and judicial in such different directions.

"His Honor is crazy," Tom stated judgementally.

"I'd like chicken soup with matzo balls and gefilte fish," ordered Tom judiciously.


Forget about K. The Ls feature specialized vocabulary --

Math: "No ellipses, parabolas or hyperbolas," said Tom laconically. (Conic sections!! Get it?? And you thought math was boring.)

Music: "I never play any music by Hungarian composers," said Tom listlessly. (You've heard of Lizst, right? Just checking.)

And that's all for now.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Lesley said...

Wow-- just when I thought you were done with this-- you bring us more!
(Read Virtual Book Club for the next part of my comment.)

9:52 AM  
Blogger Z said...

Who is Franz Liszt?

10:49 AM  
Blogger Z said...

Okay, finally got heedlessly. That one was killing me because where I'm from, "aboot" is Candanian but "dinna" isn't, nor is "heed". I also didn't think of "aboot" as Scottish. I had to concede that unwillingly.

10:37 PM  
Blogger Z said...

Or Canadian.

10:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home