Saturday, December 08, 2007

Two degrees of separation

How do you get to Gilbert and Sullivan



from chemistry?

Via Tom Lehrer, of course.



It's amazing to me how our study of chemistry, via the periodic table of the elements, is opening out into so many other fields. We've talked a little bit about history, about different fields of science, about Greek word roots, and now, we're enjoying DVDs of the Pirates of Penzance, courtesy of Netflix. We've done dictation and copy work and drawn pictures of the uses of helium. All this after only three elements! I'm looking forward to seeing where the rest of the elements will take us.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Lesley said...

That reminds me.... I've really got to find a good version of Pirates of Penzance to watch. I've only seen the Christopher Atkins and Kristy McNichol version (The Pirate Movie) which was only based on the musical.

9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home