Friday, October 19, 2007

Big Old Sidetrack

More favorite moments from opera:

I heard this duet on the British Airways commercial, and was completely captivated. Then I heard it again on one of those commercials for Time-Life recordings such as constantly being hawked on late-night TV -- Your Favorite Arias, or Opera's Greatest Hits or some such. So I was able to figure out what opera it came from (I hate to admit that it took me two or three passes at the commercial), then I got a CD of the opera, and finally stumbled across this concert version on YouTube while sampling the many versions of Mozart's der Holle Rache that are posted there.

Flower Duet from Lakme:

1 Comments:

Blogger Lesley said...

Thank you!!! I love this music too.
I fell in love with this when I picked up the soundtrack to the The Hunger (80's vampire flick with David Bowie and Catherine Deneuve) I got the CD thinking the Bauhaus song "Bela Lugosi's Dead" was on it... it wasn't. Just all this classical stuff and an excerpt from Lakme.
You Tube has a clip from the movie where Catherine D's character seduces Susan Sarandon with the music from Lakme.

9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home