Sunday, October 07, 2007

Ramadan




I love this picture of the first day of Ramadan. It is an amazing picture, because the moon was actually below the horizon at night and too faint to see after the sun rose. (This picture was take from an airplane.) The Islamic calendar is a lunar one, so each month begins with the new moon. If you're interested, you can read more about it here.

Ramadan, although venerated by Muslims, is basically one month of 12 in the Islamic calendar. A month that is now almost over. Less than a week is left, and now each day I am saying to myself that it is the last of these weekdays that I will fast. And oddly, fasting is getting hard again, to the point where one day I woke up last week thinking that I could not possibly do it any longer. Although, of course, I could and did.

This is the last Sunday I will fast this year. A week from today I will be eating pizza and birthday cake. Yeah!

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Z said...

Ramadan sounds like an amazing journey. The picture is fantastic.

11:47 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

It is an amazing journey. It's something I'm really glad to have undertaken. It's odd how erratic self-discipline can be. Sometimes I have a lot of it, sometimes, none at all. It's nice to know, though, that I can make it through this entire month with at least a little bit of normalcy, and honor if not all, then most of my commitments in the process.

12:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home