Saturday, October 04, 2008

Information on Pesticides

Perhaps you are someone who leans toward buying organic. It could also be that you are also trying to spend less money. I know that I certainly would fall into both those categories. So I am glad to have this pocket guide to help me figure out the most efficient use of my food dollars. This is a .pdf file which takes a while to download, so I'm going to summarize. Each list tells you the fruits or vegetables with the highest risk of residual pesticide.

Domestic fruit:
cranberries
nectarines
peaches
strawberries
pears
apples
cherries
cantaloupe

Imported fruit:
Same as above, except switch cranberries to grapes

Domestic vegetables:
green beans
bell peppers
celery
cucumber
tomatoes
peas
lettuce

Imported vegetables:
add broccoli and carrots


This is extremely inconvenient for me personally, because my family eats a lot of tomatoes and cucumbers. Rats.

At this website, you can see a ranking of vegetables in terms of their likelihood of containing pesticide residue.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home