Sunday, February 03, 2008

More about meat

Here is a short article about grass-fed beef.

Why would you want grass-fed beef? Here is a short article about scary practices at one large beef slaughterhouse. (Note: I have not watched the video myself, and I'm not going to.) My assumption is that this kind of thing does not occur at smaller-scale operations. I also know for a fact that cows fed on grass are at much lower risk for BSE, because the disease will not be transmitted to them in their feed.

This hits me particularly hard, because beef is probably everybody's favorite food around here (excepting me, actually). When you've got three picky eaters who all agree they like something, that food tends to feature prominently on the menu. The thing is, grass-fed beef really is expensive, and everything else is getting scarier by the day. My solution is going to be meat less often, but grass-fed when we have it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Vivian said...

I saw that report on TV news, now many schools have banned beef products in school lunches. When it comes to it, we the consumers have to do what we can to protect ourselves.

5:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home