Thursday, August 30, 2007

So sweet

Monday was my birthday. It wasn't that exciting of a day, but I have to take a lot of responsibility for that. I shrugged off many offers fancy dinners, weekends out of town. Nabil even offered to stay home from work to take us out, but it didn't seem worth it somehow. We went out for dinner the Saturday before, and that was nice. On my birthday, I planned to go out for breakfast, maybe go for a hike with my kids, make an easy shrimp dinner that I like, and generally kick back.

Well, the breakfast was OK, but for some reason everyone was too tired to hike, and after dinner we generally collapsed, so the birthday desserts I had planned went untasted. My sister had said she was sending a package, but it never arrived.

And now some backstory.

A few years ago, Ziad and Maya got Nabil a little pillow that said "World's Best Dad." They were really into those little pillows, getting the appropriate one for their grandmother and looking forward with excitement to getting one for my birthday. Well, on my birthday that year I got binoculars, which I had really, really wanted, but no pillow. Later on, Ziad and Maya told me that their Dad had refused to take them to the nursery, which had the store we bought the pillows from. I mentioned it to Nabil later, and he vehemently denied refusing to take them there, and told me that all they wanted to do was go to the mall and go on the rides there. Time passed, the nursery store stopped carrying the pillows, and that was that.

This morning, Ziad and Maya brought me a package, double wrapped with an extra box (surprise! it's not unwrapped yet!). Obviously it was late birthday present, but the only thing I could think of was the espresso machines we had been looking at over the weekend. Clearly, this package was way too small for that. Even a coffee grinder would have been much heavier.

Inside was a pillow, "World's Best Mom" embroidered on the front, pansies embroidered in the corners. Nabil had found it on the internet, ordered it, and had Ziad and Maya wrap it and give it to me. The package arrived several days late, but somehow they managed to keep it a secret. They even managed not to let on that they were keeping a secret. This is amazing, because these children are very fond of letting me know that they are the possessors of inside information. I'm just so touched by the thoughtfulness of this gesture, and what it says about my family and their feelings for me.

And my sister's package got here today, too. Happy Birthday!

5 Comments:

Blogger Lesley said...

Ah yes... she's right. Those kids CAN NOT keep a secret. Well, I can say that for sure about Maya anyway.

7:11 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Well, that's what you get for trying to undermine my efforts to instill good nutrition.

And yes, actually, it is widely known in our family that Maya is the (there really is no good way to put this) blabbermouth. She is getting better about this, but only if you specifically tell her NOT to repeat things.

7:41 AM  
Blogger Z said...

Happy belated birthday and what a fab story!

8:44 AM  
Blogger Vivian said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

1:54 PM  
Blogger Vivian said...

Belated Happy Birthday, Sarah! My guys routinely keep secrets from me, it's cute but agonizing. Especially since I'm the very curious kind and given the opportunity I'd turn over every stone to find out what it is. Bill got very upset when I questioned Henry extensively for Christmas gifts one year. The poor child has since learned to be loyal to his parents, one at a time.

1:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home