Tuesday, August 28, 2007

cold turkey

Ramadan is coming. So I have stopped drinking coffee. I figure I might as well get the caffeine headache out of the way ahead of time, so I can experience the hunger and thirst more fully.

Other things I am giving up:

Halloween candy. It's about time that I acknowledge that I do not really LIKE Halloween candy all that much, and I would better off just writing it out of my life. Done.

Disposable water bottles. This web site has pretty much made it impossible for me to ever buy water in disposable bottles again. (To see why, click on the link, then scroll down through the photos. Plastic bottles 2007 is the series I'm referring to here.) We're really working on keeping the reusable bottles filled and ready to go, but it's an effort. We end up thirsty in the car pretty frequently.

Free cell solitaire. I have told myself that this is a mental exercise that will stave off dementia, but really it's just a huge time sink that I can ill afford. It's really addictive for me, and so far, just walking away from the computer without casually playing a game or two has been one of the hardest disciplines I've imposed on myself. Sheesh.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lesley said...

I'm with you on the water bottles... I have our (the kids and mine)refill bottles ready to go... We're all fine it, the only one having a problem is Paul. He refuses to give them up. At home, if I ask Paul for a glass of water, I have to specify "water from the tap!"

9:43 AM  
Blogger Vivian said...

I used to be addicted to solitaire at work, especially when I had a job that I had to be on the phone a lot. Now web surfing had replaced that.

9:43 AM  
Blogger Lesley said...

Oh... and let me know when Ramadan ends so I can finally join you for that morning coffee!

9:44 AM  
Blogger Z said...

We've been on board with limiting our bottled water consumption too. Its going pretty well and we don't miss it. Then again, I'm notorious around here for how little water I drink.

8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home