Friday, September 15, 2006

The sequel

So Maya had her first visit to the orthodontist today. It turns out that it's too early too tell whether her teeth will end up crowded or not -- she hasn't lost enough of them yet. The orthodontist wants to see her again in six months just to check on how things are progressing. I myself am all in favor of this plan, because it means that if (when, actually, who are we kidding?) she needs to get work done, she'll be a little more used to him and the office and the chair and the whole routine.

I have to say, that right from the start, this seems like an office that spares no expense. Which means, of course, that they are providing lots of amenities that are built into their charges. So I had to ask myself, do I think it is worth it to pay the extra money for the nice waiting room with the TV, the extra office staff, the nice stationary? I thought it over for a while, and was eventually forced to admit, that for me, the answer is yes. It's nice to have Maya in a place that tries so hard to do everything right, and to make her as comfortable and happy as possible in a situation that is not going to be all that comfortable or happy no matter how hard anybody tries. I like it that they go the extra mile, even if I do know that I'm the one who is paying for it.

As for me, after spending basically the whole day yesterday in bed, I still have a sore jaw, but am feeling very rested. The dentist's office called my cell today as we were coming home from the orthodontist, to enquire after my health and well-being. So I gave them the update. No one mentioned rescheduling. Even though I plan to try a different dentist next time, I'm still going to give myself a good margin of time before starting over.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lesley said...

Know what you mean - my kids dentist office is pretty darn nice. Toys in the well-decorated waiting room. Super-huge fish tank, TV, colorful mural. Then when the kids sit in the examination chair- there are stuffed animals around, TV in the ceiling, head phones. Then after they are done, each kid gets new tooth brushes, stickers, little toys... Even a bonus gift if it's their birthday month. We have insurance, so I never realized how expensive his office was - until now.

You get what you pay for.

5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home