Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Tom Chapin

Tom Chapin has made himself the darling of the homeschool crowd with his song Not on the Test. I'm not as crazy in love with this song as some of my friends seem to be, but I think it's worth a listen. So I'm putting in a link to his website, where the song is sitting, waiting to be heard. (The page with the song will follow the introductory photo page after a few seconds, all on its own.) And I'll add that, in my opinion, this is far from his best work.

Overall, our family LOVES his music. Could there be any higher praise than the fact that just about the only music on Nabil's iPod comes from one of his albums? He comes out to California every year to do a benefit for People of Note, a local organization dedicated to training volunteers to provide music education in public schools. Even though we've basically memorized all his jokes and patter, we go every year, sing along at the top of our voices, and have a great time. I like the way he donates his time for this cause that he believes in, I love the way he engages the audience during his performances, and I always enjoy the music he plays. Of course I don't know him personally, but he certainly gives the impression of being a genuinely nice, down-to-earth person. Not bad for someone who's won three Grammies.

So don't stop with this song -- click on "Listen" (right between "Requests" and "Cool Stuff" on the top of the page). This Pretty Planet and Together Tomorrow are two of my favorites, and yes, that's Judy Collins singing along. Simple and beautiful, these are songs that children and parents can sing together with pleasure.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Z said...

I listened to a little of "Not on the Test" and it had that hyperbolic quality that you can find in the homeschool crowd.

I'll listen to the rest of the songs later and take your word for it as far as the event goes but I have to admit that as someone who is pretty conventional it has the sound of a place where you would find a lot of people wearing dresses made out of recycled Crocs (Frocs?) and where you can only find stevia to sweeten your free-trade coffee.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

12:48 PM  
Blogger Z said...

Oh wait, that's fair trade...my people like the free-trade.

5:42 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

If people choose freely to buy fair-trade, isn't it free-trade, too?

10:44 AM  
Blogger Z said...

Sure, free-trade, fair-trade coffee sounds great to me!

This post inspired me to make some cds for the car.

11:11 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I think your comment about that hyperbolic quality is most likely what puts me off about that song. As far as the event goes, though, it's sugar cookies, candy bars, and popcorn all the way. And plastic water bottles. My children are not allowed near the concession stand. We like buying CDs directly from the artists, though.

Can you imagine a more appalling garment than a Froc? The horror ....

11:31 AM  
Blogger Z said...

Well, see, shows you what I know.

Yeah, the stuff about kids feeling pressured to save their teachers from getting sacked was a skosh off-putting. I mean, I'm no fan of the test but personally was not witness to pressure on the kids from classroom teachers.

Now the principal, on the other hand...

12:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home