Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Bees do it

Have you ever heard that bees are aerodynamically unsuited for flight? I'm not sure this is actually true (I guess I should look on Snopes), but anyway, it seems that all my life I've been hearing that engineers and scientists can not explain the mysterious ability of these round, chubby insects to take to the air.

This, in turn, has always reminded me of a story about my father. He has a lot of family around Stockton, and sometimes spent his summers on the farm with them. Naturally he would help out with the chores. One time he was driving a tractor, and took a turn too sharply, whereupon the tractor fell over. When his concerned relatives rushed over to see if he was OK, they found him in a ditch with his slide rule, muttering, "That shouldn't have happened."

What I really want to know is, who drives a tractor with a slide rule in their pocket?

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Z said...

Hahaha!

This is why Rick left the farm. No place for slide rules.

Great story.

11:15 AM  
Blogger Vivian said...

I had to look up slide rule as it was never introduced in my schools. very cool stuff!

So I gather you got the math gene from your Dad and the straight forward sense of humor from your Mom. Great combination on you, and that's an absolute compliment.

11:46 AM  
Blogger Lesley said...

Great observation Vivian... I concur!

11:08 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Gosh, thanks very much.

11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home