Saturday, May 24, 2008

Detour into Mayaland

Maya has always had her own way of expressing herself. When she was little, she used to say ma-mu instead of milk. I guess I can kind of see that, but I still don't know where she came up with Na for yes. Now that I think of it, I guess it's kind of strange that she doesn't say puhsketti instead of spaghetti. Instead, she's got her own little word rearrangement: reglear for regular. Kind of the opposite of the nuclear/nucular thing. Yes, Maya asks for binoclears when we go birdwatching.

It's not just in the area of vocabulary that Maya has carved out her own way of looking at things. When you've got a spare minute, it's definitely worth it to ask her about the world where people use frogs for money.

Maya: Well, money just goes around in a circle, because people grow food and sell it to make money, and then they use the money to buy food, so what if there was a world where people really liked frogs, and used them to pay for things instead --

Ziad: Then you could breed your own money!

Me: Well, but if people like frogs, then wouldn't they want to keep them for pets instead of using them to buy things?

Maya: That's GOOD!

OK.

And apparently Maya has been perplexed by the Star Wars movie where Princess Leia appears in the famous metal bikini slave costume (we were watching at my father's house -- eventually Ziad was the one who found it unwatchable and brought the evening's viewing to an end.) Yes, apparently she's been thinking it over and has figured it out. Princess Leia is in DISGUISE as an ALIEN in an attempt to infiltrate Jabba the Hut's domain and rescue Han Solo. Except those round things fell off her head so he recognized her and that's why she's tied up.

Yup, definitely worth it listening to what Maya has to say.

I hope no one feels I am exposing my daughter to ridicule on the internet. I love Maya and her oddball ways so much. These fleeting moments of childish perspective are a treasure I am setting down here in the hopes that we will share them together when she is grown.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Lesley said...

I often wonder what the world would be like if people grew up and didn't loose their childish ways... hmm...

10:48 AM  
Blogger Z said...

Maya is a treasure. But you already know that.

12:10 PM  
Blogger Vivian said...

I love Mayaland, not just for the frog money. I used to write down many of the Henry-says and we still use some of them (to his humiliation). He called milk, muk; basketball, bakisaball; baseball was the B-Ball. Once he announced in Barnes and Nobles, "Look, there is Harry Pottamus!" (he just learned hippopotamus.)

12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home