Sunday, October 07, 2007

In the middle of the night

Last night, when I was sound asleep, there was a knock on the front door. I woke up, wondering if I had, in fact, just heard a knock on the door, when the door bell rang. I assumed it was Nabil coming home, having forgotten his house keys or something. So I got out of bed without getting dressed, and went downstairs. As I approached the front door, I heard a voice say, "San Jose Police, checking about the status of a car." This got my attention all right. In the back of my mind, I am always worrying that one night Nabil will be too tired to drive safely and that something bad will happen. I realize looking back on it that this was foolhardy, but I opened the door enough to stick my head around while I was still standing behind it. There was a police officer, all right, asking me whether I have a Honda Civic and does somebody else drive it.

"Yes," I said, still thinking about Nabil.

"Is it black?"

"No, it's white."

Wait a minute, I just realized, the white car is a Nissan. JENNIFER is the one who drives a Honda, and it's registered in my name, and although it's not black it's a weird purple color that could easily be taken for black at night. And Jennifer is a girl who likes to party, although I could swear she is not one to drink and drive. She's more of a call a cab or get a hotel room ahead of time kind of person.

Fortunately, from this point of view at least, what had happened was the following: the police were following a stolen car. The people driving the car jumped out and got into another car and were trying to drive away in it. This second car was Jennifer's, and the police were making sure that it was not stolen as well. I called her on the phone, waking her up also (and it wasn't easy, either, I had to call three times before she answered), and she was just fine. The police were also outside her house, with the car, and they wanted her to come out and talk to them, which she did, and there appears to be no lasting damage to her or the car. My night's sleep was a thing of the past, however. I had to call Nabil at work and tell him about it. Jenny eventually called me back, too, which was a considerate act she wouldn't have made a few years ago.

There was a post on the Yarn Harlot recently about milestones. She takes an interesting view of them, and I quote:

I feel like as the girls get older they hit these milestones that make you heave great sighs of relief. Your daughter turns 16? Awesome. No matter what, she can never be a 15 year old mother. 17? Wicked. She can never be a 16 year old addict. 18? The police can never bring her home charged under the young offenders act.....


At last someone who takes as pessimistic a view as I do. Which is why I am so grateful for every day we get under our belt with all of us healthy and happy and capable of living our lives. Every day makes my two little ones more capable of fending for themselves, should the need arise.

And last night was a milestone, too. The first nighttime visit by the police, the one I've been dreading all these years. Thank heavens it wasn't anything really serious.

And now Maya is telling me about her crazy dream where she heard me talking on the phone to someone about Jenny's car getting stolen ....

4 Comments:

Blogger Lesley said...

Wow... thank goodness everyone is okay!

11:57 AM  
Blogger Z said...

What a story...I'm also glad to hear that it turned out well.

8:40 PM  
Blogger Vivian said...

How scary! how did those people get into Jenny's car? Glad they caught the people before more damage was done.

1:05 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Jenny's car is apparently ridiculously easy to break into. Although I don't know the specific details of how it was accomplished in this case.

And in a post-script, after Jenny called me back, I neglected to call Nabil back, something that he brought to my attention the next morning. Yikes! Out-thoutfulled by my own child. I guess, in my mind at least, it really is all about me. I'm going to have to do better.

8:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home