Saturday, April 14, 2007

People who think that California is liberal make me laugh

Where did Ronald Reagan find his springboard to national politics? Who is our governor now? If we're so tax and spend, how did Proposition 13 pass?

I think we can all agree that politicians are often a slimy bunch. I've made no secret of the fact that I disliked Bill Clinton's presidency. Just not as much as I disliked Reagan and dislike Bush.

It's clear that all three politicians have been less than forthcoming with the people who elected them. To me, though, there is a huge, substantive difference between the kind of lies told by Clinton, and those of the Reagan and Bush administrations. Reagan used the power of the presidency to circumvent the will of the people, selling arms to Iran (that looks pretty bad in hindsight, now doesn't it?) to intervene in South American politics after Congress had voted against it. Bush disingenuously fed bad information to the American people to justify a war. For someone who fueled his campaign with accusations of "flip-flopping" he sure has changed his story on Iraq a lot of times.

To quote the bumper sticker, "When Clinton lied, no one died."

Betraying your wife vs. betraying the American people. Yes, I think they both are bad. And yes, I think the second is worse.

Does caring about this make me a liberal?

3 Comments:

Blogger Lesley said...

From a fellow Californian... I know so many die-hard republicans it's scary!

6:37 PM  
Blogger Z said...

Comment deleted so the author can walk away from the keyboard.

7:51 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

You keep doing that!!! Of course I can't know for sure, since I don't know what you were going to say, but I think (knowing you) that any comment you choose to make, for good or ill, would be worth reading and could only lead to the kind of conversation that is worth having.

11:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home