Tuesday, January 06, 2009

The Lark Ascending

Here is a link where you can listen to The Lark Ascending, if you have a spare 15 minutes or so. I love this piece. I don't remember any more how old I was when I first heard it -- I bought the album because I liked the cover art, and when I went home and played this track, I just listened to it over and over. I never even listened to the rest of the music.

Now my older sister, who is a violinist, will be performing this piece in the spring. I am so happy for her. She has a piano accompaniment, which I am trying to learn, but it is so difficult. Right now I can stumble through the first few measures in pathetic slow motion. If I had unlimited quantities of time I could probably eventually play it decently, but what mom has that kind of time? Still I'm really happy to have the chance to experience the music from the inside. It's playing now, and I hear it in a completely different way, imagining the notes I have on paper and comparing them to what the different instruments are playing.

And now the words every parent knows their child will say one day: I'm so glad my parents gave me piano lessons when I was young. Even though I rarely make use of the musical education I received, it's an enormous gift that has enriched my life immeasurably. I'm truly grateful.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lesley said...

I wish my parents had forced me to take lessons. We even had 2 pianos in the house! Inexcusable..

5:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home