Tuesday, July 29, 2008

My husband, nice guy

Since I am more than ready to complain to all and sundry when my husband gets me upset, it seems only fair to give his good qualities equal time.

The computer is not the only electronic item in the house that gives us grief. Our DVD player is part of an elaborately jury-rigged system that needs to be run through a VCR, but unfortunately the VCR I had had since Jenny was a teenager broke. Which meant a new one. Which meant I didn't really know all the ins and outs of recording and timers and whatnot, so that in order to simplify my own life I asked my husband to please tape Mad Men for me.

What followed next was a somewhat amicable disagreement about our content provider (Dish Network), which I think is more or less on Eastern Standard Time, and in any event is not set up so that we get programs at their regularly scheduled time. I was expecting Mad Men at 7. Just to confuse the issue, we found out at 8:30 that it had started at 8, so taping it was temporarily out of the question. I just gave up and went to bed.

It was a nice surprise Monday morning when my husband woke up briefly to tell me that the recorder was set to tape it this morning at 8. He suggested just watching it, but I prefer not to have it on while kids are passing to and fro. I really appreciate his taking the trouble to figure out the scheduling and set the VCR, though, and when I checked the tape Monday afternoon everything seemed in order. So now I've got an interesting evening of television to look forward to.

Thanks, honey.

The sequel:

I woke up thirsty night before last, right around when my husband was getting in bed. Since he was still up, he got me some water. This morning I woke up to find him putting a fresh glass on the bedside table. Sometimes little things like this are all it takes to remind me that I'm glad we're together.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Z said...

Well, this is much nicer than the conversation between husband and wife I overheard this weekend at a children's party. It sounded like it may have started jovially enough but by the end the husband was muttering, "I hate you", under his breath. At one point they moved from an argument about divvying up chores to who was a worse parent. He was saying that their child's life would be a nightmare if it weren't for his intervention and she was loudly proclaiming that the child actually preferred her.

So, yes, this was much better.

8:45 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Well, that certainly sounds like an ugly divorce and bitter custody battle in the works. How awful! Especially at a party, where you'd think they'd try to keep up appearances, or at least not get so carried away that other people can't help overhearing.

No water this morning, though. Oh, well, I'll always have the memory. Good thing I wrote it down.

5:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home