Monday, November 05, 2007

One-track mind in action

I had the following odd conversation with Maya while we were warming ourselves in front of a wood-burning stove with a glass door that showed the flames inside. She said to me, "I bet it would hurt to catch on fire."

That got my attention. "Yes," I said, wondering how far to take this. I didn't get a chance to follow-up, though, because she beat me to it.

"Did you ever catch on fire?"

OK, well now I was really not sure how to respond, so I just said, "No."

"Ever know somebody that caught on fire?"

(!!!!! ) "No ....."

"If I ever caught on fire I would stop, drop, and roll really quickly."

"That's good."

"I think the best time to catch fire would be in the morning when the sprinklers --"

"Can we please stop talking about this now?" OMG!

I still don't quite know what to make of it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Vivian said...

Do you think this might be related to the fire you saw that you mentioned in the other blog entry? or has she been watching the news about the fires in LA?

I know it's very disturbing, but it's good that she knows exactly what to do if she catches on fire. You know, it's like knowing how to dial 911, important knowledge.

8:17 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

You're right, on both counts, I think.

I'm just stick with the image of her with a little daytimer, penciling in her time to catch on fire. "Well, this morning's no good, how about tomorrow? Because I want to be sure the sprinklers will be on, that would be the best time."

It's amazing the stuff kids come up with.

5:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home