Saturday, August 02, 2008

Revisiting the Tudors

and other English monarchs.

In the course of trying to figure out some English history, I came across this beautiful website. Although it has many more pages than I am personally interested in, the page of Tudors is just so beautifully laid out I think it's well worth looking at. OK, so it's just a geneology, such as one would find in almost any book, even trashy semi-fictional historical accounts. I still think it's especially cleanly and elegantly presented.

Fans of Robin Hood (and Shakespeare; also Peter O'Toole and Katherine Hepburn) should check out the Norman and Plantagenet page.

Also of interest to me is the way that James I of Scotland is both the last of the Tudors, and the first of the Stuarts. Elsewhere, Queen Victoria is both the last of the house of Hanover and the first of the house of Saxe-Coburg-Windsor.

Why am I so interested in the kings and queens of England? I don't know, really, but I love these pages, which go all the way back to Egbert (802-839) and Ethelwulf (830-857).

1 Comments:

Blogger Z said...

Can't wait to check it out.

We'll be covering the early age of English royalty this year...including the Robin Hood era.

Speaking of Robin Hood, I'm still cracking up over the song in the play, "It Feels So Good to Be Evil" with Prince John, the Sheriff and Hiss. The whole thing just felt very Monty Python to me.

10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home